London, Society of Antiquaries, 60
s. xii med., Peterborough
Type of MS.: Register
Davis no.: 754
Related MSS: Transcript (s. xviii) in London, Soc. Ant., 131
Comment: 'Liber Niger'
Provenance: Sir R. Wingfield. Brownlow, 9th earl of Exeter
S1463, ff. 24r-25v: A.D. 1020 x 1023 (London). Record of the acquisition by Ælfsige, abbot of Peterborough, on behalf of the abbey, of fenland at Whittlesey Mere, Hunts., from Thored, in exchange for land at Orton, Hunts., and a sum of money. s. xii med.
S1059, f. 26r-v: A.D. 1061 x 1066. King Edward to Peterborough Abbey; confirmation of an agreement concerning land at Scotton, Scotter and Manton, Lincs., acquired by the monk Brand and leased by him to his brother Askytel, with reversion after his death to Peterborough Abbey (when an estate at Northorpe, Lincs., is to be substituted for Manton). s. xii med.
S1060, ff. 26v-27r: A.D. 1055 x 1060. King Edward to Peterborough Abbey; confirmation of land at Walcot on Trent, near Alkborough, Lincs., given to the abbey by Asytel, the king's optimas. s. xii med.
S1029, ff. 27v-28r: A.D. 1060. King Edward to Peterborough Abbey; confirmation of land at Fiskerton, Lincs., bequeathed to the abbey by Leofgifu, a woman of London, but claimed by Queen Edith. s. xii med.
S1481, f. 28v: A.D. 1042 x 1055. History of land at Ryhall and Belmesthorpe, Rutland, claimed by Peterborough Abbey. s. xii med.
S592, f. 29r-v: A.D. 956 (ii). King Eadwig to Ælfsige, his minister; grant of 10 hides (cassati) at Kettering, Northants. s. xii med.
S533, ff. 30r-31r: A.D. 948. King Eadred to Ælfsige, his most faithful minister; grant of 3 hides (mansae) at Ailsworth, Northants. s. xii med.
S674, ff. 31r-32r: A.D. 958. King Edgar to Ælfheah, his minister; grant of 5 hides (cassati) at Orton (Waterville), Hunts. s. xii med.
S1014, ff. 32r-33r: A.D. 1046. King Edward to Athelstan, his faithful minister; grant of 3 hides (cassati) at Ayston, Rutland. s. xii med.
S681, ff. 33r-34v: A.D. 959. King Edgar to Quen, his faithful matrona; grant of land at Howden and Old Drax, Yorks., with dependencies at Howden, Knedlington, Barnhill (Hall, west of Howden), Caville (in Eastrington), Thorpe Lidget, Hive, Eastrington, Belby (in Howden) and Kilpin, all Yorks. s. xii med.
S834, ff. 34v-35v: A.D. 979. King Æthelred to Ælfhere, comes; grant of 10 hides (mansae) at Olney, Bucks. s. xii med.
S233, ff. 36r-37v: c. A.D. 687 and 691 (Medeshamstede, i.e. Peterborough, Northants.). (a) Cædwalla, king of the (West) Saxons, to Ecgbald, abbot, and his familia; grant of 40 hides (manentes) at Hoo (ad Hebureahg insulam), Kent. (b) Swæfheard, king of Kent, to Ecgbald, abbot; grant of adjoining 20 hides at Hoo and woodland at Fercanhamstede. (c). Confirmation by Æthelred, king of Mercia. s. xii med.
S144, ff. 37v-38r: A.D. 757 x 796 (Freoricburna, Surrey). Offa, king of Mercia, to the church at Woking, Surrey; grant of 20 hides (manentes) at Woking. s. xii med.
S782, ff. 38r-39r: A.D. 971. King Edgar to Æthelwold, bishop; grant of land at Barrow-upon-Humber, Lincs., for Peterborough Abbey, in return for 40 pounds of silver and a golden cross. s. xii med.
S1448, ff. 39v-40v: ? A.D. 963. Æthelwold, bishop, to St Peter's, Medeshamstede (Peterborough); record of gifts including land at Medeshamstede, Anlafestun; at Farcet and Whittlesey Mere, Hunts.; at Oundle and Kettering, Northants.; and at Well (cf. Outwell, Upwell, Welney, Cambs. and Norfolk); tithe from the double hundreds of Normancross, Hunts., and of Nassaborough, Northants., and from Maxey, Ashton, Nunton and Pilsgate in Barnack, Northants.; with stock at Yaxley, Hunts. s. xii med.
S1806, f. 41r: A.D. 675 x 692. Æthelred, king of Mercia, to the minster of Medehamstede; grant of land at Leugttricdun (? Laughterton, Lincs.). s. xii med.
S1412, f. 41r-v: A.D. 786 x 796. Beonna, abbot of Medeshamstede, to Cuthbert, princeps; lease of 10 hides (manentes) at Swineshead, Lincs., in return for 1000 shillings and annual hospitality (unius noctis pastum) valued at 30 sicli, with ultimate reversion to Medeshamstede. s. xii med.
S947, f. 42r-v: A.D. 1016. King Edmund Ætheling to 'New Minster' (? at Peakirk); grant of 1.5 hides (mansae) at Peakirk and 3 perticae at Walton near Peterborough, Northants., previously belonging to Siuerthus (Sigeferth). s. xii med.
S197, ff. 42v-44v: A.D. 844 for 848 (Repton, Derbys.). Berhtwulf, king of Mercia, to Abbot Eanmund and his familia in the minster at Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leics.; grant of privileges, in return for a gift of 180 mancuses in gold and 15 hides (manentes) at Stanlege (? Stanley, Derbys.) and at Bellanford (? Belford, Northants.) to the king and also the donation of a precious vessel to Humberht, princeps. s. xii med.
S1803, ff. 44v-45r: A.D. 675 x 692. Friduric, princeps of King Æthelred, to St Peter’s, Medeshamstede; grant of land at Breedon (on the Hill), Leics. s. xii med.
S1805, f. 45r-v: A.D. 675 x 692. Friduric, princeps, to Abbot Hædda; grant of land at Hrepingas (? Rippingdale, Lincs.). s. xii med.
S1804, ff. 45v-46r: A.D. 675 x 692. Æthelred, king (of the Mercians), to Hædda, abbot of Breedon; grant of land at Cedenan Ac (? Cadney, Lincs.). s. xii med.
S1440, f. 46r-v: A.D. 852. Agreement between Abbot Ceolred and the community at Medeshamstede, and Wulfred, concerning land at Sempringham, Sleaford, Lincs.; Forde; Cheal, Lincs.; and at Lehcotum. s. xii med.
S1448a, ff. 47r-49r: A.D. 983 x 985. List of sureties for estates of Peterborough Abbey, relating to land at Warmington, Benefield, Walton, Maxey, Castor, Wittering, Ashton, Oxney in Peterborough, Longthorp, Bainton, Northants.; Anlafestune; Lutton, Northants. s. xii med.
S1566, f. 50r: Bounds of Oundle, Northants. s. xii med.
S566, ff. 51r-52r: A.D. 955. King Eadred to Ælfsige Hunlafing, thegn; grant of 5 hides at Alwalton, Hunts. s. xii med.
S1377, ff. 54v-55r: A.D. 963 x 975 (? 971 x 975). Æthelwold, bishop, and Wulfstan Uccea; exchange of land at Washington, Sussex, for land at Yaxley, Hunts. (given to Thorney), and at Ailsworth, Northants. (given to Peterborough). The Ailsworth estate was forfeited by a widow and her son condemned for witchcraft. s. xii med.
S68, ff. 59v-64r: A.D. 664. Wulfhere, king of Mercia, to St Peter's Minster, Medeshamstede; confirmation and grant of land at Peterborough (Medeshamstede), Thorpe Hall, Dogsthorpe, Eastfield near Peterborough, Newark, Garton End, Eye, Werrington, Gunthorpe, Peakirk, Glinton, Deeping Gate, Peakirk Marsh, Eye Marsh, the hermitage of Singleshole, Castor, Ailsworth, Sutton near Peterborough, Upton near Ailsworth, Milton Park, Barnack, Southorpe, Walcot Hall in Southorpe, Pilsgate, Ufford, Bainton, Ashton in Bainton, Torpel (lost) in Ufford, Thornhaugh, Sibberton Lodge in Thornhaugh, Wansford, Wittering, Wothrope, Burghley near Stamford, Maxey, Lolham Hall in Maxey, Nunton in Maxey, Helpston, Northborough, Etton, Woodcroft Castle in Etton, Paston, Walton, Marholm, Warmington, Oundle, Ashton Wold, Churchfield, Stoke, Benefield, Glapthorn, Cotterstock, Stanwick, Irthlingborough Kettering, Cottingham, East Carleton, Pytchley, Northampton, Northantss.; Olney, Bucks.; Hoo and Avery Farm, Kent; Howden, Yorks. ER; Breedon on the Hill, Leics.; Hrepingas (? Repton, Derbys.); Cedenac; Swineshead, Lincs.; Heanbirig; Lodeshale; Shifnal, Salop.; Costesford (? Salop.), Stretteforde (? Stretford, Salop.), Wecelleburne, Lusgerde (Lizard Hill, Salop.); Ethelhuniglonde (? in Kent); Barchanig (Bardney, Lincs.); Langeledenham; Washingborough, Lincs.; Binnington, Yorks. E.R.; Conisbrough, Yorks. W.R.; Barnwell, Northants.; Great Easton, Bringhurst, Prestgrave, Leics.; Drayton, Northants.; Glaston, Rutland; Langton, Leics.; Tinwell, Ingthorpe, Rutland; Collingham, Notts.; Fiskerton, Reepham, Scotter, Scotterthorpe, Scotton, Northorpe, Yawthorpe, Riseholme, Messingham, Manton, Cleatham, Hibaldstowe, Ravensthorpe, Holme in Bottesford, Risby near Market Rasen, Walcot in Alkborough, Alkborough, Normanby, Althorpe, Lincs.; Muskham, Notts.; Thurlby, Osgodby in Lavington, Walcot near Folkingham, Breidesthorpe (? Bowthorpe), Lincs.; Ryhall, Belmesthorpe, Rutland; Manthorpe, Carlton Scroop, Quadring in Holland, Lincs.; Fletton, Orton and Alwalton, Hunts. s. xii med.
S787, ff. 68r-71v: A.D. 972. King Edgar to Peterborough Abbey, with later confirmations, grant of privileges for the abbey and its land at Dogsthorpe, Eye, Paston and Oundle, Northants.; and confirmation of land at Barrow-upon-Humber, Lincs.; Warmington, Ashton, Kettering, Castor, Ailsworth, Walton, Werrington, Eye, and Thorp, Northants.; a mint at Stamford, Lincs.; and half of Whittlesey Mere. s. xii med.